Seville Oranges, Apricot and Ginger Marmalade
Makes around 2kg
250g dried apricots
345g Seville oranges
50g root ginger, peeled
1.4kg (3lb) granulated cane sugar
1.35litres ( 2.25 pints ) water
1. Cut the apricots into small dice. Soak them overnight in a bowl covered with 600ml water.
2. Juice the oranges and lemon and pour the juice into a bowl. Remove the inner membranes and pips from the fruit with a sharp knife.
3. Put the root ginger, membranes and remains of the lemon into a food processor or mini-chopper and chop finely.
4. Put the chopped ginger, membranes, and pips into a 36 x 36cm piece of thin cotton muslin. Tie this up with string and add it to the bowl with the fruit juice.
5. To maximise the release of pectin during cooking, shred the peel very thinly and add to the bowl. Pour over 750ml water. Leave overnight to allow the fruit to soak.
6. Next day, pour the contents of both bowls ( including the soaking liquid from the apricots) into a 7 litre lidded preserving pan. bring the pan to the boil, turn the heat down to a very gentle simmer for one and a half to two hours, until the contents of the pan have reduced by a third.
7. Remove the muslin bag. Place it in a sieve suspended over the pan. Using a large spoon press any liquid from the bag back into the pan.
8. Do a pectin test ( 1 teaspoon juice, cooled and mixed with 1 tablespoon methylated spirit mixed in a ramekin) Look for a large jelly like clot of pectin.
9. Warm the sugar in a low oven at 140C (275F/Gas1) for 20minutes. Add the sugar to the pan and dissolve it carefully. Bring the pan to a rolling boil and test for a set after 7 minutes using the flake, cold plate or temperature test. Leave to cool for 15 minutes. Gently stir the marmalade to distribute the peel and apricots.
8. Pour the marmalade into clean sterilised warm jars, up to the brim and cover with new twist top lids. Leave the jars upright and undisturbed to set.
First Preserves, please let me know by email if you would like it signed by me as the author.
For jars, Bottle Company South