This recipe combines two popular flavours, almond. and citrus. Any marmalade is suitable to use, although I prefer Seville Orange. Replace the weight of plain flour with almonds for a gluten free recipe. The cake is versatile, I often make it plain and serve it with Rumtopf for an indulgent dessert.
Rich Almond and Marmalade Cake Recipe
110g unsalted butter, softened
140g caster sugar
Zest of 1 orange
3 medium eggs
85g ground almonds
45g plain flour
225g Seville Orange Marmalade
1) Grease and line a 19cm cake tin, 6cm deep. Pre-heat the oven to 180C ( Fan 160C).
2) Cream the butter with the sugar and orange zest, until the mixture is very soft and light in colour.
3) Add the eggs a little at a time, adding a third of the almonds with each egg.
4) Sift the flour and fold into the mixture with a metal spoon. Pour the cake batter into the tin.
5) Bake for 35 minutes. The cake should be springy to the touch.
6) Turn the cake out and leave until cold.
6) Spread the top of the cake with marmalade just before serving.
For more recipes Marmalade Make & Bake